25:2 (2010:05) Newsletter Annual ReportMay 27, 2010 at 1:26 am | Posted in Committee Annual Reports, Newsletter | Leave a comment
May 3, 2010
Newsletter Editorial Board:
Kurt Blythe, columns editor (UNC-Chapel Hill)
Susan Davis, Profiles editor (University at Buffalo)
Angela Dresselhaus, editor-in-training (Utah State University)
Jennifer Duncan, blog editor (Utah State University)
Julie Kane, calendar/conference editor (Sweet Briar College)
Kate B. Moore (Indiana University Southeast)
Kathryn Wesley, editor-in-chief (Clemson University)
Naomi K. Young, submissions editor (University of Florida)
Steve KelleyActivities 2009/10
September 2009 issue (24:3)
Blog postings completed – August 17-September 18
Newsflash sent September 18
Conference issue; included the announcement of the NASIG/ASA collaboration.
December 2009 issue (24:4)
Blog postings completed December 9-18
Newsflash sent December 18
This issue included announcements on awards and the board’s intention to keep conference rates comparable to last year if possible; also an article on the new NASIG/ALPSP collaboration, two announcements from ALPSP, and one from ASA on their upcoming conference program.
March 2010 issue (25:1)
Blog postings completed – January 5-March 29
Newsflash sent March 30
Highlights included the slate for the 2010 election, 2010 award winners, and announcements on the passage of bylaws changes for organizational membership and voting period.
May 2010 issue (25:2)
Wrap up of the blog edition is planned for late May.
PDF Catch Up Project
Progress was slow on this project through summer-fall of 2009, but good through spring 2010. Angela, with input from Kathryn, developed a new design for the PDF edition incorporating the new Newsletter logo. The new design was introduced with the December 2008 issue. Angela created a template and a style guide that have greatly facilitated production. March 2009 has been uploaded to the website and linked to the Newsletter page, May 2009 is ready to upload and link, and September 2009 and December 2009 are almost ready for proofing. We anticipate completing the March 2010 issue by the end of this month. Angela and Kate both worked very hard on this project.
Google Group Site
Angela set up a Google Groups site to use as a collaborative space for documents and templates. It’s working very well for us.
- “What’s New” items posted throughout the year, including:
- Board minutes available
- Institutional membership discussion forum
- Administrative Support Task Force suspended
- Translators Resource Team retired
- Election technical glitch
- Recurring calls for columns content (Kurt)
- Calls for Newsletter conference reporters (Julie)
- Call for “Other Serials & E-Resources News” reports (Naomi)
- NASIG/ASA collaboration
- NASIG/ALPSP collaboration
- NISO Webinars for October, November, and December
- Posted an item to the Newsletter blog from the board expressing concern for members in the Los Angeles area during the wildfire
- Per NASIG/ASA collaboration agreement, sent items to Sarah Durrant for ASA News:
- Announcement of the agreement, edited to present the ASA viewpoint
- PPC call for proposals
- Above items appear in the September issue of ASA News, http://www.subscription-agents.org/latest-news/latest-newsletter Per Sarah’s request, notified her when the September issue of the blog edition was completed
- Asked publicist to send a copy of PPC’s call for proposals to ALCTS Newsletter Online
- Added ASA and ALPSP to the Newsletter blog’s sidebar (Jennifer)
- Sent calendar items to ECC throughout the year, including ASA, ALPSP, and NISO events (Kathryn and Julie)
- Contacted Jessica Broom (designer) with a question about the Newsletter logo, which she tweaked at no charge (Kathryn and Angela)
- Updated links on the committee annual reports page of the website (Kathryn)
- Updated links on the Executive Board minutes page (Kathryn and Angela)
- A new manual is in development and should be completed by the end of May
Sharon Heminger retired as PDF editor with the completion of the Sept. 2008 issue. Angela was credited as PDF editor on the December 2008 and March 2009 issues while design decisions were worked out. Kate Moore joined the Newsletter as the new PDF editor this spring and is credited in the May 2009 PDF. Angela trained Kate.
Lillian DeBlois retired as conference/calendar editor with the completion of the September 2009 conference issue. Julie Kane joined as the new conference/calendar editor this spring. Kathryn trained Julie.
Both Sharon and Lillian offered assistance to their replacements and Lillian left detailed documentation. Many thanks to both of them. We are pleased to welcome Kate and Julie to the Newsletter.
We still need a new copy editor and plan to have a new person in place sometime this month.
Activities That Support the Strategic Plan
Collaborative activities noted above, including “What’s New” announcements, calendar items, and Newsletter articles on and links to ASA, ALPSP, and NISO events support the strategic goal of enhancing external communication with related professional communities.
No budget was requested this year.
Recommendation to Board
Encourage board liaisons next year to remind their committees to submit items on their significant activities to the Newsletter.
Name of Person Submitting Report
Leave a Comment »
- Call for NASIG Conference Proceedings Recorders nasig.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/cal… 18 hours ago
- NASIG 2017 Conference Mentoring Program nasig.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/nas… 18 hours ago
- NASIG Webinar: Introduction to SUSHI -May 18,@2017 nasig.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/nas… 2 weeks ago
- New Proceedings Editors nasig.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/new… 2 weeks ago
- 2018 and 2019 Conference Sites nasig.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/201… 2 weeks ago
- September 2010
- May 2010
- March 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- December 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
- June 2007
- May 2007
- April 2007
- February 2007
- January 2007
- November 2006
- September 2006
- August 2006
- July 2006
- June 2006