24:4 (2009:12) NASIG Executive Board Minutes

December 17, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Posted in Executive Board | Leave a comment

NASIG Board Meeting Minutes
October 2, 2009
Rancho Las Palmas, Palm Springs, California

Attending:
Rick Anderson, Lisa Blackwell, Bob Boissy, Carol Ann Borchert, Patrick Carr, Jill Emery, Katy Ginanni, Steve Kelly, Christine Stamison, Virginia Taffurelli, Kathryn Wesley (Ex Officio), Sarah George Wessel, Peter Whiting

Afternoon Guests:
Morag Boyd and Anne Mitchell, PPC co-chairs
Cory Tucker and Mike Markwith, CPC co-chairs

1.0 Welcome
Anderson called the meeting to order at 8:30 a.m.


2.0 Secretary’s Report

2.1 Approval of August 28 conference call minutes

Boissy motioned to approve the minutes from the August 28, 2009 conference call; Taffurelli seconded.  Motion passed with all in favor.

2.2 Approval of board actions since August conference call

8/09  The board sent a condolence card to Cory Tucker after the death of his mother, and made a contribution from NASIG to the American Cancer Society in her memory.

8/09 Boissy sent a draft of publicity guidelines to the board, and the board provided comments.

8/09 Anderson, with approval and input from the board, sent a message of concern to the membership regarding members in the Los Angeles area who may be near the wildfires.  Wesley also posted a copy on the Newsletter blog.

9/09 The board provided feedback on the latest draft (9/1/09) of the Taylor & Francis contract for the Proceedings.  Anderson signed and returned a final copy on September 4, 2009.

9/09  The board provided input to the Site Selection Committee on whether we want to reserve for multiple years at this time.

9/09   Emery forwarded a draft of a first call for organizational sponsorships.  Wesley posted it to the “What’s New” section of the NASIG website and will put it in the Newsletter.  The board agreed this can also be distributed to listservs.

9/09 VOTE:  The NASIG Executive Board accepts the Site Selection Committee’s recommendations for 2011 and 2012, subject to the stated caveats of the Site Selection Committee as to specific hotels, and also with the caveat that if the 2012 negotiations prove too expensive, we shift to an alternate site.

Moved by Boissy, seconded by Whiting, 10 in favor, 2 abstentions.

9/09 PPC requested ideas for vision speakers for the 2010 NASIG conference, and board members provided several suggestions.

9/09   The board agreed to help ALPSP publicize their North American events.  In return, ALPSP will publicize NASIG events to folks on their mailing list. 

9/09 The board approved suggested amendments to the organizational sponsorship document.  This includes the following new options under Tier 1 and Tier 2 membership:

Tier 1 Sponsorship: $5000

  • Support of the NASIG 25th anniversary event including a ½-page advertisement in the 25th anniversary publication

Tier 2 Sponsorship: $3000

  • Support of the NASIG 25th anniversary publication including a ¼-page advertisement in the 25th anniversary publication

9/09 VOTE:  The NASIG Executive Board accepts the proposal by ALPSP to allow ALPSP members to attend NASIG events at the member rate, since ALPSP allows NASIG members to attend their events at their member rate.

Motion proposed by Jill Emery.  11 votes in favor, 1 abstention.

9/09 The board discussed a draft letter from the Membership Development Committee soliciting new members and supports the letter with a few suggested revisions.

 2.3 Action items from August conference call 

The corrected list of action items is listed below.

Not done/in progress:

Action Item:  All board liaisons should remind their committees to submit announcements for “What’s New.”  ONGOING J. Emery for Mentoring and N&E

Action Item:  All board liaisons will have committees add a reminder in their manuals that they should be submitting updates and announcements to the publicist for the “What’s New” section of the website, and that all external announcements should be funneled through the NASIG publicist.

Action Item:  Each liaison will work with the incoming committee to have a web liaison for each committee.  That person will need to attend the training being offered by ECC during the conference to see how to use the new website and use the administrative functions available.  Date and time for this session will be announced. Each committee should have a person dedicated to monitoring the discussion forums and help drive discussion and topics to keep members informed and connected.  BY 8/28 J. Emery for Mentoring and N&E

Action Item:  All board liaisons will verify that the notice on the publicity process has been added to the committee manuals.  BY 8/28 J. Emery for Mentoring and N&E, D&D added?

Action Item:  Each liaison should work with committee co-chairs to insure that the Committee Chairs Leadership Development document is being followed. ONGOING J. Emery for Mentoring and N&E

Action Item:  Blackwell will work with Pennington to ensure that a programming request for a donation option will be added to the listing of possible website enhancements.

Action Item:  Blackwell will work with Pennington to present a prioritized listing of requested enhancements and fixes to the website at the fall board meeting.

Action Item:  Blackwell will ensure the ArcStone contract is reviewed and ArcStone will be notified that we will be requesting revisions to the contract.

Action Item:  Blackwell, Pennington, Whiting, Mary Bailey and other selected website administrative users will review the upgrade to the website and determine if it would be advantageous for NASIG to move to the new upgrade. SCHEDULED FOR OCTOBER 2009

Action Item:  Borchert and ECC will work with the archivist on web presence and other archives issues.

Action Item:  Borchert will present a report at the January board meeting on behalf of the Proceedings Open Access Task Force.

Action Item:  Emery will work with N&E over the course of this year to insure that the manual is complete and posted on the website. ONGOING

Action Item:  Ginanni will send out an email in early January to all committee co-chairs, asking them to poll their committee members on their desire to remain on a committee or any issues that may have arisen with committee membership or need for appointments. 

Action Item:  Kelley will have PPC update their manual to reflect the change in the policy on selection of programs that have been presented at other venues.

Action Item:  Kelley will have PPC update their manual to reflect the change in speaker reimbursements.

Action Item:  Kelley will have PPC update the website to reflect the change in speaker reimbursement and the call for proposals.

Completed:

Action Item:  Blackwell will remove the Translators Resource Team page. 

Action item:  Anderson will take suggested revisions and clarifications for the contract back to T&F.

Action Item:  Boissy will draft a notice to reflect the publicity process for NASIG committees.

Action Item: Anderson will add list of benefits to the FAQ page for institutional memberships.

Action Item:  Anderson is working on the revision to the T&F contract to have specific language to address a mutually agreed upon version of data for NASIG archiving purposes upon termination of contract.

Action Item: Anderson will work with Taylor & Francis to get a contract for the 2010 NASIG Proceedings. He will verify that we will receive a copy of the .pdf to post on the NASIG website.

Action Item:  Anderson will write a brief blurb for the Newsletter and the “What’s New” section of the website regarding the reciprocal agreement between ALPSP and NASIG.

Action Item:   Borchert will add item to working calendar or list of president’s duties from the ASA reciprocal agreement:  Twice yearly, the NASIG President will provide ASA with a briefing covering key NASIG activities and developments. The ASA will feature this information in the news section of the ASA website and in ASA News.  The ASA will send NASIG similar information to be featured on the NASIG website and Newsletter. The supply of copy will be the responsibility of the organisation contributing the news story.

Action item:   Whiting will ask Novak to have the hard drive of the old NASIG laptop wiped clean, either by her husband or a member of her IT staff.  Whiting will follow up on this item and can have the laptop donated to another organization.

Action Item:  Emery needs to add L. Blackwell for access to the sponsorship wiki.
 
3.0 Treasurer’s report

Whiting reported that NASIG’s finances look good.  The board discussed budget requests for 2010.  A few committees did not turn in budgets for this year.  Board members discussed questions and comments on committee budgets.  Because sometimes the new committee chairs don’t know what previous budget needs were, it was suggested that future chairs receive the former expenses so they could use that as the basis for the next year’s budget request.

The treasurer reorganized the NASIG balance spreadsheet so that it is easier to read and information can be filled in year to year for comparison.  It was suggested that the treasurer give the October balance for past years to compare our current and past financial positions in future reports.

4.0 Consent agenda

Taffurelli moved to approve the committee reports on the consent agenda, and Kelley seconded.  All voted in favor.

 4.1 ALPSP partnership (approved by email, 9/09)
 4.2 Bylaws
 4.3 E&A
 4.4 FDC
 4.5 Mentoring
 4.6 Newsletter
 4.7 Proceedings
 4.8 Proceedings Open Access Task Force
 4.9 Site Selection

5.0 Pubs/PR

5.1 Instructions for regional/national/international communications
  
Boissy made a template for announcements to regional, national, and international venues.  We might need other templates for other sorts of documents as well.  There need to be categories of types of publicity with guidance for each category.  When NASIG is co-sponsoring an event, we can share this with the co-sponsor in the absence of a policy on their side.

The board discussed how long the publicist should have the document and decided on 7 business days.  There should be a little blurb at the end of the template about NASIG, with a URL for NASIG and for further information about the event.  It was suggested we have a contest for a 6-10 word slogan for NASIG, or (a bit more tongue-in-cheek) a NASIG haiku contest for the 25th anniversary.

Getting back on topic, the board discussed which announcements need to come to the board and which do not.  There is a difference between informational announcements and announcements involving some sort of action.  In case of doubt, committees should run announcements past their board liaison to determine if they should go through the board.  If an announcement is just updating last year’s announcement, the board does not need to see it.

It was suggested that announcements go to the Pub/PR public list, so that the committee will know to review a document if the publicist is out of town.

6.0 A&R

6.1 Merriman Award discussion

Funding for the Merriman award is shared between NASIG and UKSG.  The board discussed the requirement of applicants being in a functional, non-managerial e-resources position.  The award is not for a serialist in general, but specifically for one working with electronic resources.  Applicants will be evaluated through their essays, their statement of what they hope to achieve, and references.  The board suggests removing the word “non-managerial,” which is hard to define, and add “direct” responsibilities into the following statement:

Applicants must be in a functional (non-managerial level) position with direct responsibilities for some aspect of e-resources within a Library or Information Service.

Under the description of the award, it was suggested to change the first sentence of the second paragraph to say “$6000 supports two people…” and that one of the references must be a current supervisor.  If someone is still in their first professional position, they won’t have had more than one supervisor yet.  The board suggested that the applicant also be strongly encouraged to attend their home conference.

7.0 ECC

7.1 Photo gathering/archiving
  
It has been suggested that ECC could help gather and archive photos from former NASIG conferences and events.  If we use a library school intern, we would need someone who has done this sort of work before.  Boissy and Taffurelli will discuss this further.  The board suggested photos be arranged by conference (2008, 2009, etc.), and it would depend on the number of photographs if we would need further granulation.  ECC is setting up a subcommittee to work on this.

8.0 N&E

8.1 Nomination numbers
 
Emery reported that we have 7 nominations for vice president/president-elect and 30 for member-at-large (25 of which are unique names).  A member must be in good standing to be vetted and stand for election.  This is harder to determine with the new system of rolling membership.  It has been asked that we list terms of office for the various positions.  

Action Item:  Emery will ask N&E to list terms of office on the website for the various positions.

8.2 Reminder that further discussion of CV/applications issue will follow completion of membership survey

There was no discussion on this agenda item.

9.0 Sponsorships

 9.1 Progress report
  
Sponsorships currently total $9,000 for the 2010 NASIG annual conference.  SSP is overlapping with the NASIG conference by a day and a half.  This is an issue with the vendor expo, as SSP runs through Friday in San Francisco.  The question arose that we might be relying too heavily on sponsorships.  We need to prioritize where we need sponsorships the most.

 9.2 Possible use of some Asheville profits to subsidize 25th anniverary event
  
Anderson moved that a portion of the profits made from the 2009 conference be used to help fund the 25th anniversary dinner at the 2010 conference, and Boissy seconded.  All voted in favor.

Emery asked that board members forward ideas of who might sponsor the NASIG side of the Merriman Award.

10.0 25th Anniversary TF

Stamison reported that the dinner is the main event for the 25th anniversary, but the committee is concerned about money.  There will be a professional DJ at the dinner, and the proposed budget is reasonable, but there will need to be further conversation with the board if they need to go beyond that budget.  The 25th Anniversary Task Force was originally charged with a special issue of the Serials Librarian, which will not be possible.  There needs to be a change in the committee’s charge to reflect this. 

11.0 Thank you notes to committee members

11.1 Send by email with an option to request a letterhead copy?
  
In looking at stationery use and needs, do we need to plan for paper letterhead and envelopes for thank you notes, or do we sent them by email?  It was suggested that committee members be sent a .pdf with NASIG letterhead on it. There will be a thank you template for board members, committee chairs, and committee members loaded into the board space.

Action item:   Emery will load sample letters into the board web space.

12.0 D&D

 12.1 Concerns and possible strategies regarding membership trends
  
Membership numbers are down, so the board discussed how to encourage members to renew.  When D&D deactivates, they send a message to encourage renewal.  Currently, we send a renewal reminder, a second reminder one month later, and then send another message one more month later with an alert that they are about to be deactivated.  We need to emphasize membership benefits outside of the conference.  MDC could do a short survey to see if people are planning to renew and/or planning to attend the next conference.

Action item:  Anderson will draft an explanatory blurb for the survey of who is planning to renew membership and/or attend the conference.

Action Item:  Carr and Ginanni will work with MDC and E&A to have them collaborate to make the survey of who is attending the conference and renewing membership happen and distribute results.

D&D could provide membership and NASIG service history for an individual to MDC for them to send a communication inviting that person to renew.  MDC will find out if anyone on their committee knows the non-renewing member, as sometimes someone will be more likely to renew if they are contacted by someone they already know.

The board discussed the lack of participation in the discussion forums online.  Is it inconvenience, apathy, or something else?  There has been a forum to discuss organizational membership open for a while now; it is time to put a bylaws change on this topic out to the membership for a vote.

13.0 Charge for evening conference social events?
  
The main issue was not really charging for events, but whether there is a way to get an accurate headcount for the evening social events. We need to make the membership aware of the cost of below-expected attendance and the resulting wasted money.  We need to prevent the attrition problem we encountered at the Crest Center in Asheville.  It was suggested we return to dine-arounds for the third night.

Action Item:  Wessel will ask CPC to add events to the conference registration page for member to indicate their intention to attend or not.

14.0 CPC

Cory Tucker and Mike Markwith from CPC attended this portion of the meeting to make their report in person.  The board discussed the pros and cons of continuing to have people preregister for sessions.  One third of registrants do not indicate any sessions.  It was recommended that the person introducing the session do a head count at each session.  For the 2010 conference, all of the meeting rooms are about the same size, so registration numbers for a session will not affect room assignment.

The budget for the 25th anniversary dinner will be included as part of the overall conference budget.  The board has earmarked $25K to support this special event.  The opening reception will be on an upper floor of the resort facility in a covered area with misters.  CPC saved $3500 by moving the opening reception to the roof instead of Splashtopia.  There is no good off-site place for an evening event except the Living Desert, which is really expensive. 
 
The cost of making internet available in the meeting rooms for speakers and attendees is quite high.  CPC will negotiate with the resort to see if they can provide free wi-fi in the main room in exchange for us organizing things so that they don’t have to keep rearranging that room for us.  We would need it for Friday and Saturday only.  Cost of wi-fi is $3000-$4000 per day, but we want attendees to blog and tweet during the sessions.  It was suggested we drop the Friday afternoon break in order to cover free wi-fi.

CPC is setting up transportation from the Palm Springs airport to the resort.  They will also set up a rideshare message board.

15.0 PPC

Morag Boyd and Anne Mitchell attended this portion of the meeting to discuss issues with the board.  By the end of the first call for proposals, they had 40 proposals in hand, many relating to usage statistics.  They clarified the term “commercial presenters” listed in their written report, that this was referring to people presenting for profit, not NASIG members from the commercial sector. 

PPC asked if there was a budget for vision speakers.  As speakers become higher profile, we might want to move to two vision speakers instead of three.  The Sunday vision session is not well-attended anyway. 

PPC asked to have access to the sponsorship wiki, so Emery set that up before the end of the day’s meeting.

PPC asked for a productivity space to confidentially share documents and archive discussions. 

Action Item:   Boissy will ask ECC to investigate the possibility of a productivity space for PPC with ArcStone.

The board confirmed that we want to keep a minimum registration requirement of 10 people for preconference sessions.

16.0 Telecommunications Task Force

There are four preliminary recommendations in the TTF report, all of which are equally good.  We need to make sure the new system can support Macs as well as PCs.  A whiteboard space would be nice, but is not a major issue at this point.  Some of the free conference calling software requires the callers to bear the long distance cost.  Do some folks work at an institution where they can’t make long-distance calls?  That is probably not a common problem anymore.  The Board suggested an expanded Skype experiment, to have one or two committees try it.

Action item:  Ginanni will ask Char Simser to invite CEC as a guinea pig to try the Skype system for NASIG business.

17.0 THIS ITEM WAS REMOVED FROM THE AGENDA. 

18.0 MDC

 18.1 Brochure translations

The membership applications are translated and available on the NASIG page.  There should be 100 paper copies of both the Spanish and French translated brochures printed and these will be sent to the NASIG Secretary.  MDC needs to contact LSOC to see if they need any copies.

Action item:  Carr will make sure that MDC adds to their manual that brochures go to the NASIG Secretary.

18.2 Vendor member solicitations

MDC will send letters soliciting vendors as members via both snail and email.  For missing snail addresses, it was suggested that MDC ask a NASIG member from that organization if possible.  The letters will list the NASIG President as being the person from whom the letter is sent.

Action item:  Carr will send a final copy of the vendor member letter for the archives to the NASIG Secretary.

18.3 Membership renewal reminders

This item was discussed under item 12.0 D&D.

19.0 CEC

19.1 Pursuing a share of money brought in by NASIG-sponsored events

Generally, the extent of the financial contribution for NASIG-sponsored events is member-level registration or a NASIG member discount, and advertising.  We became involved in non-NASIG events to expand influence and increase visibility.

Action item:  Carr will ask CEC to create a menu of expectations for levels of sponsorship and bring this back to the board.

20.0 ArcStone AMP system

Blackwell reported that there was a demo of the new ArcStone AMP system last week.  This will be an upgrade to the administrative side of the website, and will not affect the public appearance of the site.  It is flexible to define fields at the front end but not after the system is set up.  Based on previous experience, requests for more functionality increase the cost of the system.  The upgrade will require a new contract, and every step needs to be reviewed.  The board needs to know if there will be a deadline for the version of the ArcStone service that we have.  Our current contract expires November 2010, but we don’t know if it will be available after that.

Whiting volunteered to work on finding an attorney to review the contract.  We’ll also need a task force to scrutinize the contract and upgrade process.

Action item:  Whiting will find an attorney to review the ArcStone AMP contract.

21.0 Strategic planning

21.1 Review of results from last round

Members shared initial thoughts regarding the current plan and agreed that the current list of objectives has almost reached its length of usefulness.

21.2 What problems/issues are biggest for us now?

This will be discussed at a strategic planning forum.

21.3 Is another round of strategic planning best next step?

Instead of a strategic plan, we should do some contingency or scenario planning.  We could do it as a preconference or in place of the normal NASIG Executive Board meeting (and do our normal business during conference calls ahead of time).  Alternatively, we could do a shorter board meeting on Thursday morning.  Also, since we’ve had the same consultant for the last couple of rounds of strategic planning, we should find someone new for a fresh perspective.

Action item:  Borchert will consult with Joyce Tenney to determine feasibility of scenario planning at the June conference.

Action item:  All board members will float names for a new planning consultant by November 1 and ideas for contingencies that need to be addressed during the planning session.

2.0 Other business

The organizational membership comment period is now over. 

Action item:  Carr will ask MDC to draft a change to the bylaws to include institutional memberships and submit to the Bylaws Committee by October 31.

Ginanni motioned to adjourn the meeting and Taffurelli seconded.  The meeting adjourned at 4:20 p.m.

Minutes approved by NASIG Executive Board November 12, 2009.

Minutes submitted by:
Carol Ann Borchert
Secretary, NASIG Executive Board
October 19, 2009
Revised November 4, 2009

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: