24:3 (2009:09) Executive Board Conference Call Minutes

August 17, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Posted in Executive Board | Leave a comment

NASIG EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
Joyce Tenney, NASIG Secretary

Date, Time:    April 27, 2009, 12:03 p.m.-1:35 p.m. EDT
Place:        Conference Call

Attending:
Jill Emery, President
Rick Anderson, Vice President/President-Elect
Peter Whiting, Treasurer
Char Simser, Past President
Joyce Tenney, Secretary

Members-At-Large:
Bob Boissy
Anna Creech
Kim Maxwell
Jeff Slagell
Sarah Wessel

Absent:
Virginia Taffurelli

Ex-Officio Member:
Kathryn Wesley, NASIG Newsletter, Editor-in-Chief
Angela Dresselhaus, Incoming NASIG Newsletter, Editor-In-Chief

1.0 Welcome (Emery)

Emery called the meeting to order at 12:03 p.m. She welcomed all to the meeting and reviewed the rules of order.

2.0 Secretary’s report (Tenney)

Tenney reminded all to review the working calendar with their committees, and submit any updates prior to the June board meeting.  Also, committee annual reports are due on Friday.

3.0 Treasurer’s report (Whiting)

Whiting reported on the progress of conference registration.  Special thanks to Mary Bailey for her work as NASIG Registrar.  Approximately $90,000 has been received in conference registrations to date, and $8,600 of this is preconference registration.  Whiting reported that he would be working with CPC on the airport transportation form.  It should be posted to the website in approximately a week.

4.0 ArcStone update (Emery)

Emery reported that there had been difficulties with the conference registration database and other issues with the website.  To address these issues she had sent a letter to ArcStone asking for a cost break on the monthly bills to compensate for the loss of service and problems.  She had a call with ArcStone management and they will review the March and April bills and propose a compensation offer.  ArcStone will also review the noted issues and determine how to fix the problems.  ArcStone has committed to producing online training and webinars for committees.  We will have a chance to review the training documentation before purchasing them.  There was a general discussion of what ECC could do and what was needed from Arcstone.

ACTION ITEM: ECC will report any training needs to Emery and Creech.

Emery concluded the discussion with a report that the registrar is watching the registration database closely and will report issues as they arise.

5.0 A&R: Tuttle Award discussion (Boissy and Emery)

Boissy reported on some confusion with the purpose of the funds for the Tuttle Award.  He noted that the award description is vague, and this has led to confusion.  It was agreed that the award funding is for funding research not subsidizing NASIG conference attendance.  It would be possible for the award winner to submit a program proposal for next year’s conference and receive funding for the conference in that process.  There was discussion of the wording around the publication requirement and the desire to keep the intellectual content of the work either open access or have NASIG take some ownership of it.

ACTION ITEM: Boissy will work with A&R to tighten up the wording on the award and to clear up the publication and deadline for reports and publication issues.  It will apply to the next award given, not the current award.  After completion of the rewording and revisions, A&R will review the working calendar to see if any changes or additions need to be submitted.

It was agreed that the award winner would submit a report to the board at the January board meeting.

6.0 CEC: Update on TEDSIG event (Slagell)

Slagell reported that 66 people attended the TEDSIG event.  This was a large increase in attendance from last year and the evaluations on the program were positive.  However, there was a problem with advertising NASIG support for the program.  It was agreed that CEC should review their procedures to make sure all of the steps needed to ensure proper recognition for NASIG support and sponsorship are documented and distributed to committee members.

ACTION ITEM: Slagell will with work with CEC to verify procedures are documented and current.

7.0 CPC: Updates/questions (Wessel)

Wessel reported that CPC did not have any questions for the board, but did express the concern that the process for hotel reservations that are paid for by NASIG be documented.  Tenney will add information into the working calendar and CPC manual.

ACTION ITEM: Tenney will update working calendar and CPC manual on process for hotel reservations paid for by NASIG during the conference.

After brief discussion, it was agreed that the board wrap-up meeting would be Sunday morning from 8:00 a.m.-9:30 a.m.

8.0 ECC: Ongoing communication concerns (Creech/Emery)

We need to ensure that multiple ECC members have training and knowledge sufficient to respond to requests for support from NASIG members.  Responses to such requests should include an expected resolution timeframe, and those tasked with responding to support requests should be sure to use their “out of office” settings.

ACTION ITEM: Creech will work with ECC to ensure that its manual is complete and up to date, and will work with the ECC co-chairs to ensure that they are delegating duties appropriately and providing support training to multiple committee members.

9.0 LSOC: Informal discussion proposal (Slagell)

Slagell reported that there had been some confusion on process for an outreach conference program and the committee needed to be in touch with the CPC/PPC in the future to verify conference plans, programs, and events.  There was agreement that the group needed to develop a formal committee manual.  Boissy expressed interest in assisting with outreach, once the documentation and framework were in place.

ACTION ITEM: Slagell will work with LSOC to get documentation in place.

10.0 MDC: Institutional membership (Boissy)

Boissy reported on the progress of the institutional membership discussion.  It was agreed that the rate would be $1,500, which allows 3 people from the institution to be full NASIG members with a calendar year membership.  Emery noted that the next step would be to send it out to the membership for discussion after the conference.  Maxwell will share the FAQ on institutional membership with the Bylaws Committee to get their opinion on which sections of the Bylaws would require revision due to this proposal.  Emery will mention the proposal in her President’s Column and Wesley will post the topic on the “What’s New” section of the website.  After the conference is over a discussion forum will be started for membership discussion and a vote taken over the summer.

11.0 Pub/PR: Sharing PR responsibilities (Anderson)

Anderson reported that the current method of PR for the annual conference is chaotic and not working well.  It was agreed that PR would develop the message     with input from CPC and PPC and then others can distribute as needed and appropriate.  It was agreed that additional discussion on this topic may be needed at the June board meeting.

12.0 PPC: Updates/questions (Anderson)

Anderson reported that due to reduced attendance there is no need to repeat sessions.  Emery asked the PPC to wait until May 8 to make the final decision.  Anderson noted that PPC had asked if there were any “Hot Topic” items.  Emery noted the issue of OCLC moving into the ILS market.  Anderson will ask PPC to pursue this topic.  Anderson noted that all sessions were slotted at this time.

13.0 New business

Emery asked for any additional issues.

Slagell asked that the CEC manual be posted to the website.  Emery asked Slagell to send a request to ECC and cc Emery and Creech.

Simser reported that the evaluations from the UnConference were very high and summary report will be issued.

The conference call was adjourned at 1:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Joyce Tenney
NASIG Secretary

Approved 5/21/09

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: