24:1 (2009:03) NASIG Executive Board Minutes

February 20, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Posted in Executive Board | 2 Comments

NASIG EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
Joyce Tenney, NASIG Secretary

Date, Time:    November 12, 2008; 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Place:        Conference Call

Attending:
Jill Emery, President
Rick Anderson, Vice President/President-Elect
Peter Whiting, Treasurer
Char Simser, Past President
Joyce Tenney, Secretary

Members-At-Large:
Bob Boissy
Anna Creech
Kim Maxwell
Jeff Slagell
Virginia Taffurelli
Sarah Wessel

Ex-Officio Member:
Kathryn Wesley, NASIG Newsletter, Editor-in-Chief

1.0 Welcome (Emery)

Emery called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. She welcomed all to the meeting and reviewed the rules of order.
2.0 Strategic Action Plan Update (Emery)

Emery led the board through a review of the Strategic Directions Action Plan.  The following action items were agreed upon.

•    Objective/Action
Expand 3 existing venues for member networking opportunities.

ACTION ITEM: To facilitate the implementation of “Ask a ___ forum”, Creech will ask ECC to develop a forum. Anderson will work with Publications/PR to recruit experts to start and monitor discussions.  Publications/PR will work with ECC for the initial set up.
It was agreed that we need to budget for RSS feeds next year.

•    Objective/Action
Create financial advisory committee.
Emery noted that the March issue of the NASIG Newsletter will have a profile of the Financial Development Committee.  Given the financial situation of the country and long-term future financial prospects of NASIG, the Financial Development Committee is working on a draft document of the pros and cons of a small scale vendor exhibits program for the 2010 conference.  It was agreed that the document would be reviewed by the board and any initial edits would be done, then the document would be released to the membership for comment and discussion.

ACTION ITEM: Emery will present the document on vendor exhibits at the 2010 conference from the Financial Development Committee at the January board meeting.  The board will discuss and then it will be presented to membership for discussion and comment.

•    Objective/Action
Implement Technology RFP.
Emery reported that we are on target for the implementation schedule.  Creech reported that most of the content from the old website had been moved to the new website.  Emery noted that we will delay doing a new RFP.

ACTION ITEM: Emery asked that the old website content be saved to CD, DVD or flash drives and sent to the archivist.  Creech will work with ECC to see what is possible.

•    Objective/Action
Make recommendation for Executive Board administrative support.
Simser reported that the task force was working on the revised job description and should be finished by December 1.  The task force will be disbanded following the completion of the job description and re-established when organizational finances can accommodate paid staff.
•    Objective/Action
Create institutional membership category.
Boissy reported that the MDC is awaiting instructions on the draft document presented at the January 2008 board meeting.  Emery noted that there were several comments discussed at that meeting and the plan needed to be more specific.  Boissy will relay this information to MDC.  Maxwell noted that a bylaws change will be needed to implement this type of change, so need to consider that in the timing.

ACTION ITEM: Boissy will ask MDC to have a final proposal for institutional memberships for discussion at the January board meeting.

Boissy reported that the revised NASIG membership brochure is in the final stages and will be sent to the board for review before going to the printer.  The goal is to have them ready for distribution at ALA Midwinter.
•    Objective/Action
Create a year-long mentoring program.
Maxwell reported on the Mentoring Team’s proposal to have an online chat type of mentoring program.  Emery suggested in the interest of time, discussion on this topic could be conducted on the board list.

ACTION ITEM:  Taffurelli will start the discussion and all comments and responses should be given by November 24, 2008.

•    Objective/Action
Determine member needs for professional development; use appropriate delivery options for programs
Slagell reported on the progress by CEC and noted that they are on target for their plans.
•    Objective/Action
Publicize volunteer program.
Emery reported that this had been done. It was agreed that this should be an ongoing action item.

ACTION ITEM:  Emery will work with Anderson to ensure that announcements of volunteer opportunities become a regular part of the President’s Column in the NASIG Newsletter.

3.0 NASIG /UKSG Publications Committee (Anderson)

Anderson reported that UKSG is expanding their publications and the committee that oversees those publications.  UKSG has asked NASIG to consider having a representative on the editorial board of Serials, and on the UKSG Publications Board.  Anderson suggested that this become a part of the NASIG Vice President/President-Elect’s duties.  This recommendation was approved unanimously.

ACTION ITEM:  Anderson will inform UKSG that he will be the representative for the boards for this year, and in following years the NASIG Vice President/President-Elect will be the representative.

ACTION ITEM:  Tenney will update the NASIG Executive Officers Job Description document.
4.0 A&R Wording Change for Marcia Tuttle Award (Boissy)

Boissy reported that A&R would like to change the emphasis of the eligibility requirements for the Tuttle award.  They suggested changing the three years of active library service to one year and invite the doctoral students in library and information science to apply.  Also, they suggest rewording the eligibility requirements to make them easier to read and understand.  The suggestions were agreed to unanimously.

ACTION ITEM:  Boissy will relay to A&R that their suggestions were approved and that announcements and postings should be updated to reflect revisions. Boissy will ask A&R to write a NASIG Newsletter article to advertise the revision and draft announcements for external listservs and other media.
5.0 Site Selection Update (Tenney)

Tenney reported that we are in the final stages of selecting a specific property in Palm Springs, California, and the rates look good for 2010.
6.0 Other Business (All)

Emery reported that the North Carolina Serials Conference will not be held in 2009, due to NASIG being in North Carolina.  The North Carolina Serials Conference will be an organizational sponsor for the 2009 conference.  Emery noted that there need to be extensive and frequent PR announcements to as many sources as possible on the NASIG Conference.

ACTION ITEM:  Wessel will work with CPC to get announcements out on the conference.  Anderson will work with PPC to get announcements out on the conference programming.  Anderson will ask PPC to do articles for the NASIG Newsletter on the vision speakers as the contracts are signed.

Emery reported that Swets is going to offer sponsorship for the Rose Robischon Award for 2009.  This is a needs-based scholarship that will be established for the 2009 conference.

ACTION ITEM:  A&R will get a description of the award to Simser and other venues for PR.

ACTION ITEM:  Simser will draft letter of intent for Swets.

ACTION ITEM:  Emery will write letters to Rose Robischon’s family and to West Point, where Rose worked, to make them aware of the award.

Emery noted that the UKSG has been offering webinars for continuing education.  She suggested that CEC might look at co-sponsoring a webinar with NISO and offer a reduced rate to NASIG members.   It was agreed that this would be an excellent idea.

ACTION ITEM:  Emery will work with NISO in the possible development of this type of joint programming.

Simser gave an update on Nominations & Elections. She asked that if there were any additional nominations please send them to her in the next couple of days.

Simser reported that we have $17,000 promised in organizational sponsorships to date.  The most recent organizational sponsorship donation was from the Indiana School of Library and Information Management.  Special thanks go to Dan Tonkery and EBSCO for donating and spreading the word on organizational sponsorship opportunities. Timing and location for sponsorship acknowledgement were discussed.

ACTION ITEM:  Simser will write an article for the next NASIG Newsletter to report on organizational sponsorship for the upcoming conference.

Creech noted that she has drafted a confidentiality statement for the use of Survey Monkey by committees.  Please send her comments.

Tenney asked that CPC and PPC have fairly firm conference budget numbers for the January board meeting.  We set the conference fees at that meeting and need up-to-date and complete information.

ACTION ITEM:  Anderson and Wessel will ask PPC and CPC to submit up-to-date and complete budget projections at the January board meeting.

Wesley reported that she is not having great success in obtaining articles for the NASIG Newsletter from the commercial side. Please send her ideas.

Simser reported that the N&E report on open elections is posted on the blog.

Emery called for any additional items.  None being received, she adjourned the meeting at 11:37 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Joyce Tenney, NASIG Secretary

Approved 12/1/08

Advertisements

2 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Where are the January Board meeting minutes?

  2. They will be posted in a few days, along with the minutes from the February and March conference calls.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: