21:3 (2006:Sept) Executive Board Minutes

August 29, 2006 at 3:58 pm | Posted in Executive Board | Leave a comment

NASIG EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
Elizabeth Parang, NASIG Secretary 

Date: May 3, 2006, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Place: Comfort Inn, Tabor & Stratton Room, 321 17th Street, Denver, CO 80202

Attending:
Mary Page, President
Steve Savage, Past President
Denise Novak, Vice President/President-Elect
Rose Robischon, Treasurer
Elizabeth Parang, Secretary

Members-at-Large:
Adam Chesler
Jill Emery
Katy Ginanni
Kim Maxwell
Kevin Randall
Joyce Tenney  

Ex-Officio member:
Char Simser, NASIG Newsletter Editor-in-Chief

Guests:
Alison Roth, incoming Member-at-Large
Bob Schatz, incoming Member-at-Large
Kathryn Wesley, incoming Newsletter Editor-in-Chief
June Garner, Co-Chair, 2006 Program Planning Committee
Tonia Graves, Co-Chair, 2006 Program Planning Committee
Paul Moeller, Co-Chair, 2006 Conference Planning Committee 


1.0 Welcome  (Page)

Page called the meeting to order at 8:35 a.m., welcoming Board members and guests. Page reminded those present that because Board members have read all reports before the start of the meeting, only those reports requiring action will be discussed in the meeting. Page noted that the Board meetings are public with published agenda and minutes. Page added an additional item to the agenda, the selection of a date for the fall Board meeting. 2.0 Secretary’s report (Parang) 2.1 Actions taken since the Board meeting, Jan. 19, 2006 1/23/06 The Board endorsed adding a link from NASIG Web Publications page to the UKSG publication, E-Resources Management Handbook, once the actual content is ready.

1/25/06 The Board agreed that people should be allowed to join NASIG at the same time they register for the conference because this is now technologically feasible.

2/8/06 Maxwell moved (Randall seconded) and the Board approved that the 2005 NASIG Conference Proceedings be dedicated to the memory of Marla Schwartz, a long-time NASIG member who actively contributed to the organization.

2/10/06 The Board endorsed appointment of Carol Ann Borchert and Gary Ives as co-editors of the 2006 NASIG Proceedings. 

2/21/06  Parang moved (Tenney seconded) and the Board approved the charge of the Publications/PR Committee as prepared by Emery. 

3/5/06 The Board endorsed the slate of award winners selected by the Awards & Recognition Committee.

3/10/06 The Board agreed to make a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association of Indiana in memory of Mary Alice (Sunny) Wilson McKee, mother of Anne McKee. 

2.2 Board items status list 

Parang reminded the group to keep the secretary informed when items are completed.  Tenney stated she had been unable to find the guidelines for committee chairs anywhere on the Web site but that these had previously been compared to the chairs’ manual that now contains this information. 

3.0 Treasurer’s report (Robischon) 

3.1 Report from the treasurer 

Robischon indicated that completing the guidelines for committee chairs’ budget requests is high on the list of items to finish because it needs to be given to the chairs by August.  Savage commented that the current membership of 1,024 is about 21% less than last year at this time.  However, the consultant who advised us on the dues increase said that membership could fall by one-third. The Board is very pleased with the renewal numbers, especially in light of the dues increase.      The Database & Directory Committee did place a note in individual records indicating a person did not renew due to the dues increase. 3.2 2006 Budget and expenditures to date The organization has spent more than anticipated but is also taking in more money than expected on preconferences: about $14,000 has been received thus far in preconference registrations. 

Budget reallocations reduced the publicist’s budget to $100 and also reduced the D&D budget so that the contingency fund now contains $7500.   

The Membership Development Committee’s budget is part of the administrative costs this year.  The PPC budget line pays for that committee’s conference calls.  Every committee who holds conference calls includes a line item for these calls.  A new column is needed for the Financial Development Committee and also for management costs such as the investment advisor that will eventually go under the Treasurer’s expenses.   

NASIG’s fiscal year is the calendar year.  Scholarship monies will be tracked separately.  The Financial Development Committee must make recommendations on handling these monies.   

3.3 Conference report 

3.4 Update on networking/conferencing software 

This project is still pending; a committee needs to be assigned to test the Netspoke software. The Board needs to plan an August/September conference call. 

4.0 Program Planning (Frick, Garner, Graves, Novak) 

4.1 Status report 

Non-conflict scheduling has made the conference have fuller days and go longer on Sunday.  Some speakers questioned why they got only two nights paid instead of three nights.  However, many publisher and vendor speakers had declined payment for hotel reimbursement.  The Board agreed to reconsider the two-night limitation for speakers.   

Internet access is expensive but is expected by the speakers.  The Site Selection Committee does try to negotiate, but virtually all sites we have visited will not reduce Internet access rates.   The cost for Internet access would have been about $7000 for this conference. This amount needs to be included in the original budget for AV for future conferences.  Peter Whiting of CPC solicited bids for AV for the conference and will be able to keep the costs of AV at or below the Minneapolis expenditure. AV is a big moneymaker for hotels.   

Instead of providing handouts, we could ask speakers to post their handouts at least a week before the conference.   

ACTION:  Novak will see that the PPC handbook includes a recommendation to request that speakers post their handouts to the NASIGWeb before the conference.
DATE:  Following the conference 

4.2  Brainstorming session 

Page reported a flyer about the Brainstorming Session had been posted on NASIG-L and was being handed out at the registration desk.  She will announce it at the conference opening and expects a larger turnout than at past brainstorming sessions because of the no-conflict time and scheduling the event on Saturday morning.  In the past attendees had complained about the difficulty of attending on Thursday morning.  We want all constituencies of the membership engaged in a frank and open conversation about how the organization should evolve but find “the NASIG way” to do this.   

5.0  Conference Planning Committee (Highby, Moeller, Tenney) 

5.1    Schedule, events, venues 

Nine buses have been scheduled for the Red Rocks event.  Food will be available as attendees enter the visitor’s center.  All dietary issues were addressed.  Videos will be playing.  The outdoors is accessible.  A band, Dr. Keith Waters & Friends, will play from 8 p.m. to 9p.m. 

Friday night’s Art Walk in theGolden Triangle Art District has a bus that cruises the area.  A bus will be running from the hotel to the art district; NASIG will pay $250 and the Dazzle Jazz Club will pay $250 for that bus.  The buses have hosts to advise where to get off and what to see. Staff from the Native American Trading Company helped with the organization of this event.  Many restaurants are located nearby and will be on a list.  A map will be available at the registration desk.   

A handout on using the conference blog is in the conference packet.  A free conference registration will be raffled, as will a glass candy bowl from next year’s conference hotel in Louisville, along with other Louisville and Kentucky oriented items from next year’s CPC.  

5.2 Training sessions for NASIG members on committees (Page, Tenney)  

Continuing/retiring committee chairs will train the incoming committee chairs during the scheduled training session.  The early conference date caused problems with organizing a more structured training session.  Next year’s conference will start May 31, 2007, which will give more time to plan. 

5.3 Conference budget 

The conference budget has gone over planned amounts on a few items.  More buses were added for Red Rocks and the venue cost was higher than expected.  However, a conference surplus is anticipated. 

6.0 New committees

6.1 Library School Outreach (Maxwell) 

The goal of the Library School Outreach Committee is to develop membership among students and faculty of library schools, help them take part in continuing education, and promote the Awards & Recognition Committee’s awards.  The committee is putting together feedback from library school faculty.  They recommend a new committee with eight members to oversee the ambassadors.  Savage stated the Electronic Communications Committee could create a separate listserv for the ambassadors and eliminate the publicist’s listserv that goes to library schools.  Schatz suggested producing a video or CD and Chesler suggested podcasting.   

Page wondered if it was necessary to start with all 54 library schools.  She suggested beginning with a few targeted schools, developing a program, and then expanding.  The Board accepted the committee’s recommendations and noted that the logistics of working with 54 schools may not be possible. 

ACTION: The Library School Outreach Committee will continue discussion and develop a plan for an Ambassadors Program to library schools.
DATE:  Report by the first week of September 

Schatz mentioned the committee could look at the people on the human resources list as possible ambassadors.  Page and Maxwell will investigate further why the committee requested two people from CEC be members.  Perhaps a second person from the MDC is also needed and Maxwell will seek a volunteer from that group.  The publicist will be added to the group’s list. 

6.2 Membership Development Committee (Maxwell) 

The committee’s goal is to create a plan for membership development that will target levels of membership for different segments of the serials community.   

The committee sent out renewal reminders; these were individual emails signed by committee members.  The committee had four conference calls and created subgroups to work on assignments.  The organization needs to emphasize NASIG is not just for people with “serials” jobs.  New and cutting edge products and services often develop first in a serials setting.  According to Schatz, this insight is especially important to vendors such as booksellers.  

NASIG is a place to build relationships and NASIG should establish networking relationships with organizations such as SSP, ASA, and others.  The Membership Development Committee could create a set of talking points to use in promoting NASIG to personal contacts.  The committee could collect testimonials from satisfied members. They could use NASIG-L to promote membership development and wondered if the scope of NASIG-L should be expanded.  It could include information about conferences of interest to serialists by associations with which NASIG has established relationships.  This would not only expand the scope of NASIG-L but also expand services to members. 

ACTION:  The Publications/PR Committee should examine the charge of NASIG-L.
DATE:  Report by fall meeting 

The Board decided that educational and informational postings from other non-profit groups that could be of interest to members will be posted on NASIG-L. 

Schatz suggested offering an  rganizational membership that could be assigned to an employee and reassigned if the person changed jobs.  He also suggested a special first-timers registration rate but Page indicated that could cause budgetary problems.  Savage noted that usually about one-third of attendees are regional and attend because the conference is nearby.  Robischon reported that people did take advantage of the ability to join NASIG at the time of registration.  She also reported that all first-timers got a flag to wear on their name tag.  Chesler suggested working with some other groups to get reciprocity of conference discounts. 

The Board endorsed the committee’s recommendation that a personal email should be sent to all non-renewing members.  The Database & Directory Committee should create this list; in the past D&D had sent out two paper reminders and an email. 

Maxwell encouraged the Board to send ideas to the committee. 

6.3 Financial Development Committee (Novak, Savage) 

Savage reported that only three people volunteered for this committee, so it will be a small group.  In the year ahead the committee will seek an investment advisor, develop the endowment plans, and develop the fund-raising plan.           

6.4   Publications/Public Relations Committee (Savage) 

The committee will change the publicist’s role.  Currently the Conference Planning Committee does send out information about the conference to regional lists.  This part of the CPC job will be transferred to the Publications/PR committee. 

7.0   Financial plan (Savage) 

Savage and Robischon have created draft treasurer’s reports for future Board meetings that follow the ideas in the financial plan.  The Board needs to be more involved and so needs more information.  A schedule will be set up of what reports will be available for which meetings; not all reports will be needed for all meetings.  The reports will be adjusted for usefulness as needed.  Savage asked the Board to provide feedback because the reports are a lot of work for the treasurer who shouldn’t be asked to produce items that are not useful.  Timing should be considered:  when is a graph useful and what time frames should it cover?  The Board was asked to suggest any other needed reports and possible better formatting.  The reports need to be concise and functional.  

Ultimately NASIG’s finances will be split into four parts.  A financial advisor is needed to determine how the organization’s banking should be set up.  The Financial Development Committee will begin work after this conference with a target of finding a financial advisor by the middle of summer.  We want someone with experience with nonprofits.  NASIG is incorporated in New York and so the advisor should probably be familiar with the state laws of New York.   

A major change for NASIG is to develop a fund-raising component to fund scholarships and possibly continuing education opportunities. Ginanni suggested looking at the Portland NASIG town hall meeting minutes for fund-raising suggestions. The Board may wish to pursue grants as a funding option.   

Page stated the operating budget has been around $92,000, mostly from conference revenue, and NASIG needs a more stable source of revenue.  Chesler noted the brainstorming session must emphasize the need for stable income to continue NASIG’s operations.   

8.0 Technology plan (Page)

A task force will be appointed to create an RFP for technology outsourcing.  A key issue for online voting is authentication; the membership number should be used.  We would like to be able to conduct polls of members or just of the Board.  The task force should have something ready for a fall conference call. 

9.0 Committee reports  

The Board thanked all committee chairs and members for their hard work on the part of NASIG.

9.1 Archivist (Parang)

The Archivist report reveals that not much is being sent.  Each committee template should include a place for listing what was sent to the Archivist as a reminder that items should be sent. 

ACTION:  Ginanni will adjust the committee report template to include an area for listing items to be sent to Archivist.
DATE:  ASAP 

9.2  Awards & Recognition (Ginanni)

The committee is still working on the Champion Award, which needs to emphasize the importance of a significant contribution to the serials community by a NASIG member. 

9.3 Bylaws (Maxwell)

The committee is reviewing the language of the bylaws for outdated references.

9.4 Continuing Education (Emery)

Some planned programs were cancelled and the funding is available for reallocation. 

9.5 Database & Directory (Page)

The committee had problems with the legacy Access database.  The committee suggested that the policy of submitting the list of new members or changes to the Newsletter columns editor for the “Title Changes” column should be re-evaluated. Simser reported the list of title changes is the most read section of the Newsletter.   

Money is available for temporary clerical staff during times of heavy workload. D&D should have a line item for temporary staff in their budget.  All committees should include temporary staff in their budgets if a need is anticipated.    

ACTION:  Tenney will check the chairs’ manual to make sure it includes information on budgeting for temporary clerical help.
DATE:  ASAP 

ACTION:  Robischon and Savage will make sure the option of hiring temporary clerical help is explicitly stated in the “Chairs’ Manual for Annual Budget Requests” that they are creating.
DATE:  ASAP 

Two Welcome messages are sent out:  D&D sends a welcome to NASIG and ECC sends a separate welcome to NASIG-L.  The Membership Development Committee will work with the new co-chairs to see how this all works, especially the Welcome messages. 

The Membership Directory needs some annual maintenance and NASIG-L needs an annual purge.    

NASIG will go to an online only renewal with PDF available and paper renewal mailed only on request.  The renewal form should add three checkboxes for next year’s renewal cycle: 

1) Do you need a printed receipt?  (if yes, an email goes directly to the Treasurer) 
2) Would you like to make a donation to NASIG?  (if yes, an email goes to the Financial Development Committee.) 
2a) Is your donation for a specific purpose, e.g., in memory of someone, for NASIG scholarships, etc.  ___________________________________________(also email to FDC) 
3) Would you like acknowledgement for your donation published in the Newsletter? (email to Newsletter editor) 

The Financial Development Committee should consider named levels of donations, similar to NPR. 

9.6 Electronic Communications (Page)    

Savage noted that the publicist should vet items posted to RSS feed accessible pages.  

Because NASIG-L is a moderated list, there may be delays in posting messages.  Certain addresses, currently the President of NASIG, can send items directly to the list.  The Board should consider giving the Newsletter editor the same capability. 

ECC worked with Robischon and updated the Membership Directory.  All non-renewing members have been deactivated, and the Directory now lists current members only.   

The technology plan will deal with several of the actions requested by the committee.  The Membership Development Committee will rewrite the membership brochure.  There is no set time for the conference; it depends on hotel availability.  Therefore the annual calendar should not be changed from a June to a May conference; instead the technology plan should suggest a way to make the calendar more interactive. 

9.7 Evaluation & Assessment (Page)

Online evaluation is available this year. 

9.8 Newsletter (Simser)  

Should the Newsletter go blog-style? Wesley has discussed this question with Creech and will try Blogger software.  Advantages to a blog-style Newsletter include doing away with HTML layout, making RSS feed possible, and a Newsletter issue doesn’t all have to be ready at one time.   

The Board discussed whether comments should be allowed.  Comments can be reviewed before they are available to the public; the conference blog is doing this. Parang moved and Emery seconded that the Newsletter begin with a blog with no comments and later allow moderated comments.  The motion passed. 

Each entry on a blog has a category assigned and a reader can call up all entries on a topic.  The blog can be formatted to print for the Archives. 

Wesley plans to publish the special summer issue as a blog.  Page, as outgoing president, will write a summary article for this issue.  Simser noted that on occasion the timing of the conference might preclude having the special summer issue. 

9.9   Nominations & Elections (Savage)

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the committee’s work was compressed and the Board extended a special thanks to this year’s N&E Committee for a job well done.  Chair Anne McKee deserves special recognition. The new Board will be the most diverse in years, with representation from libraries, publishers, and vendors. 

The N&E Committee needs to remind people who agree to run for office about meetings that they will need to attend should they win and ask them to delay making travel arrangements until after the election; this information is in the guidelines on the Web. The technology plan will include online balloting.              

9.10 Proceedings (Randall)                   

The Proceedings editors emphasized the need to get the new editors selected earlier.  Preferably one editor should continue a second year in order to create continuity. 

ACTION: Secretary should change the working calendar to issue the call for Proceedings editors in October
DATE: ASAP

Haworth had indicted a willingness to renew the contract if NASIG wishes.  Haworth is proposing a new contract with a $500 increase each year.  The Serials Librarian will be changing format to 8-1/2×11 inches but it is unknown if this will affect the book publication of the Proceedings.   The Board went into executive session to discuss the future of the Proceedings. 

9.11 Professional Liaisons (Chesler)

Chesler reported no action from the Professional Liaisons.  Some outreach to this group could be part of the activities of the Membership Development Committee.  Information could come from the various groups’ publications offices. Savage moved and Robischon seconded the elimination of the Professional Liaisons Committee.  The motion passed unanimously. 

9.12 Publicist (Savage)

Savage stated the amount of publicity for NASIG needs to increase.  We should use an RSS feed in addition to sending information to other lists. 

9.13 Site Selection 2007 (Novak, Page, Tenney)

The Site Selection Committee is looking at early June dates for 2008. The group expects to receive bids by middle to late May and hope to do site visits to three locations.  They are also considering sites for 2009 allowing 7% inflation on the bids.  Attendance figures show that people want to go to destination locations.  Bids from Canada will be considered. 

Unfinished business

Novak will attempt to schedule the October Board meeting for the weekend of Oct. 12-15. 

A conference call in August or September before Labor Day is better for people in the book business.  The third week in August will be the target.  The subject of the call will be the Technology RFP and an update with committee chairs budgeting.  The Board would like to experiment with the Board space on NetSpoke for posting documents.  Robischon will get the information from NetSpoke and she, Novak and Maxwell will test the procedure in early August.  The target date is Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 10 a.m. Eastern (7 a.m. Pacific). 

The Board agreed that the Mentoring Group should be affiliated with the Membership Development Committee.  It should consider expanding mentoring to include people right out of library schools and new serialists. 

The UKSG charges for its e-News because it manipulates the NASIG edition of the UKSG.  Ginanni moved and Novak seconded continuing the contract for the UKSG e-News as a benefit of NASIG membership.  The motion passed unanimously.   

The meeting adjourned at 3:55 p.m. 

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: