22:3 (2007:09) Executive Board MinutesSeptember 6, 2007 at 10:56 am | Posted in Executive Board | Leave a comment
NASIG EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
Joyce Tenney, NASIG Secretary
Date, Time: July 31, 2007, 11:00 a.m. EST
Place: Conference Call
Char Simser, President
Jill Emery, Vice President/President-Elect
Denise Novak, Past President
Peter Whiting, Treasurer
Joyce Tenney, Secretary
Kathryn Wesley, NASIG Newsletter, Editor-in-Chief
1.0 Welcome (Simser)
Simser called the meeting to order at 11:07 a.m. EST.
2.0 Review of Action Items from May 2007 (Tenney)
There was discussion of the various action items. Maxwell noted that for the action item dealing with Membership Development Committee (MDC) investigating the viability of NASIG offering institutional, organizational and corporate memberships, she had relayed the request to MDC and that Slagell is the new board liaison for that group and will report on their activities. Maxwell and Slagell inquired about the timeline for the review of ALA categories of job functions to be recommended for the renewal form. After general discussion, it was agreed that the categories should be added as part of the revisions required by the implementation of the Technology RFP. MDC should have their recommendation approved and ready to go when the rest of the database is ready. Slagell will relay this information to MDC and get an update on their progress.
Novak reminded everyone that there need to be many reminders of the renewal process for the membership when the renewal process opens for the year.
Schatz reported that the Bylaws Committee has reviewed the information on the term of the treasurer and reported back to the board. It was decided that the board will discuss this at the October board meeting.
3.0 Committee Updates
3.1 Committee Manuals (from Nov. 2006 board) updates (Simser)
Simser reminded board members that it was agreed in November 2006 to have all committee manuals posted in the public space of the committees on NASIGWeb. She asked each board member to follow up with their committees on this issue.
ACTION ITEM: All committees should have their manuals posted to the public space for each committee on NASIGWeb by the January board meeting.
3.2 Membership Development (Slagell)
Slagell reported that MDC has a draft document on the issue of NASIG offering institutional, organizational and corporate memberships. The document will be sent to the board for review.
4.0 Technology RFP (Creech)
Creech reported that she had been in touch with several of the potential providers that had not submitted a bid to the RFP. Most could only do one part of the process, so we are basically back to information from the May board meeting.
There is one more provider that Creech should be able to speak with this week. It was agreed that the most crucial components are online voting, membership database and online conference registration. Creech will submit a report to the board in the next week or two with final information and recommendations. Discussion will occur on the board listserv. It was agreed that a decision was needed before the October board meeting.
ACTION ITEM: Creech will prepare and distribute to the board a final report with recommendations on the Technology RFP within the next two weeks.
5.0 Brainstorming discussion on NASIG-L- action items (Simser)
Simser supplied a summary of comments from NASIG-L brainstorming discussion. After general discussion, it was decided to break the list into items that could be done in a short timeframe and directly related to the nomination process and items that should be tabled until the October board meeting and strategic planning meeting. Action items noted from the discussion on items that could be done in a short timeframe are as follows:
ACTION ITEM: Simser will address plans for online voting when the Technology RFP is implemented and updates to comments made on NASIG-L about the nominations and elections process in her president’s column in the Newsletter.
ACTION ITEM: Novak will ask Nominations & Elections Committee to post on NASIGWeb the documents that the committee uses. (Nominee Profile Form, Nominee Phone Contact Form, Nominee Evaluation Form and a calendar with relevant dates.)
ACTION ITEM: Emery will contribute an article for the Newsletter on running for office as a petition candidate.
ACTION ITEM: Board liaisons should encourage committees to nominate members for executive office.
ACTION ITEM: Wesley will interview some past board members for the Newsletter to get estimates on the amount of time that is required for the various offices and the skill sets needed for each office.
ACTION ITEM: Wesley will contact some past board members and officers and ask if they would be willing to act as contacts for members considering running for office. Names of the contacts could be posted on the Nominations & Elections Committee website and on the Speaker Resources Web page, so those who have questions can ask someone who has done the job for information on time commitments, type of duties, etc.
ACTION ITEM: Anderson and Emery will speak to CPC and PPC about finding time in the conference schedule for an informal session of past board members and officers speaking with members interested in running for office.
ACTION ITEM: Conference badges should note if person is a past board member or past officer. Roth suggested a possible logo for these badges of “Ask me about being a NASIG Board member”.
Anderson suggested that the job specs of the officers and board members be revised to include the possibility that members may call them during or after their term to get information on the time commitments and duties required in that position. The board agreed that this would be a good idea.
Schatz noted that online voting would open up the voting process and possibly allow for primary and general elections. As the Technology RFP process moves forward more investigation could be done into this type of election process.
Other items suggested by the membership will be discussed at the October board meeting.
6.0 Strategic Planning- initial discussion (Simser)
Simser reported that she is finalizing plans with the facilitator/consultant for an October 12 strategic planning session for the board members. There was a general discussion on desired outcomes from the planning session and how to use or not use the current strategic plan in the process. It was agreed that the current strategic plan would be used as a springboard for discussions and we will look at various sections of the current plan and see where it has been successful, where more work needs to be done, or if the idea needs to restructured.
The board agreed to have a document that was more targeted to strategic directions instead of a long detailed document. It was noted that the process should yield an outcome that is worth the effort with specific short term goals, as well as a longer term vision for the organization.
Some ideas for discussion topics were discussing the focus of the organization, do we need a change in direction; rebranding the organization; and possibly mandate contingency planning.
Simser will relay ideas to the facilitator and report back on needed “homework” before the meeting.
7.0 CPC suggestion on special event sponsorship (Anderson)
CPC suggested using corporate sponsorship to fund an evening event for the conference. There was brief discussion and it was agreed to continue the discussion on the board listserv, as we were at the end of the meeting.
ACTION ITEM: Anderson will start discussion on board listserv on CPC using corporate sponsorship for an evening event at the annual conference.
Simser adjourned the meeting at 12:33 p.m.